CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 20, 2009

POST 3: SEARCH ENGINE (THE SIMILARITIES AND DIFFERENCES OF 4 SEARCH ENGINES WHICH ARE YAHOO.COM, GOOGLE SCHOLAR, MAMMA.COM AND ERIC DIGEST).

Hello everyone especially to our beloved lecturer Dr Zaini.



How are you this week? I hope all you will be always in pink of health. Okay, this week I will talk about search engine and the similarities and differences between yahoo.com, google.com, mamma.com and ericdigest.org.



So without further delay, happy reading to all of you!(^^)

WHAT IS A SEARCH ENGINE?

According to Shelly Vermaat in Discovering Computer 2009, a search engine is a program that finds Web sites, Web pages, images, videos, news, and other information related to a specific topic. To use a search engine, you enter a word a word or phrase, called search text or keyword that describes the item you want to find. The search engine displays a list of hits. When clicked, each hits displays an associated Web site or Web page.







BRIEF EXPLANATION ABOUT YAHOO.COM, GOOGLE SCHOLAR, MAMMA.COM AND ERICDIGEST.ORG.




Yahoo.com








Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) is an American public corporation headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, (in Silicon Valley), that provides Internet services worldwide. The company is perhaps best known for its web portal, search engine, Yahoo! Directory, Yahoo! Mail, news, and social media websites and services. Yahoo! was founded by Jerry Yang and David Filo in January 1994 and was incorporated on March 1, 1995.


On January 13, 2009, Yahoo appointed Carol Bartz, former executive chairman of Autodesk, as its new chief executive officer and a member of the board of directors.[4]
According to Web traffic analysis companies (including Compete.com, comScore,[5] Alexa Internet,[6] Netcraft,[7] and Nielsen Ratings[8]), the domain yahoo.com attracted at least 1.575 billion visitors annually by 2008.[9] The global network of Yahoo! websites receives 3.4 billion page views per day on average as of October 2007[update]. It is the second most visited website in the U.S., and in the world.[6]


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo.com



Google scholar






Google Scholar is a freely-accessible Web search engine that indexes the full text of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines. Released in beta in November 2004, the Google Scholar index includes most peer-reviewed online journals of the world's largest scientific publishers. It is similar in function to the freely available Scirus from Elsevier, CiteSeer, and getCITED. It is also similar to the subscription-based tools, Elsevier's Scopus and Thomson ISI's Web of Science. Google Scholar nonetheless claims to cover more websites, journal sources and languages[citation needed]. Its advertising slogan — "Stand on the shoulders of giants" — is a nod to the scholars who have contributed to their fields over the centuries, providing the foundation for new intellectual achievements.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Scholar



Mamma.com







Copernic Inc., originally called Mamma.com, launched in 1996 by Herman Tumurcuoglu, was one of the web's first metasearch engines. With its head office located in Montreal, Canada, Mamma.com is a tier 2 search engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamma.com



Ericdigest.org






The Education Resources Information Center (ERIC), sponsored by the Institute of Education Sciences (IES) of the U.S. Department of Education, produces a large international database of journal and non-journal education literature. The ERIC online system provides the public with a centralized ERIC Web site for searching the ERIC bibliographic database as well as for submitting materials so they can be considered for inclusion in the database. ERIC provides access to bibliographic records of journal and non-journal literature indexed from 1966 to the present. ERIC also contains a growing collection of full-text materials in Adobe PDF format including the legacy ERIC Digests.
The ERIC collection includes bibliographic records (citations, abstracts, and other pertinent data) for more than 1.2 million items indexed since 1966, including:

journal articles
books
research syntheses
conference papers
technical reports
policy papers, and
other education-related materials


Prior to January 2004, the ERIC network consisted of sixteen subject-specific clearinghouses, adjunct and affiliate clearinghouses, and a number of support components. Each of the sixteen clearinghouses recommended materials for inclusion in the ERIC database, but also maintained additional extensive resources available by contacting the clearinghouse. As of January 2004, the ERIC clearinghouses were closed as part of a reorganization by ERIC's parent agency, the U.S. Department of Education. Some clearinghouses have transferred their operations to other institutions; others have shut down entirely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Resources_Information_Center
THE SIMILIARITIES AND DIFFERENCES BETWEEN YAHOO.COM, GOOGLE SCHOLAR, MAMMA.COM AND ERICDIGEST.ORG
FEATURES


Yahoo.com

-Many informations such as sport, entertainment, services, email, web, images, video, local, shopping

Google Scholar

- Simple

Mamma.com

-Have information such as web, job, videos, shop, travel, yellow pages, and white pages

Ericdigest.org


-Too many words
-Least of pictures
-Academic


FRIENDLY USER


Yahoo.com

-Can customize the main page according the user
-Has assisting tools

Google scholar

-Has recommended recent article

Mamma.com

-Can help the user by having search suggestion and recent searches

Ericdigest.org

-Very helpful to the academician and students to find information such as article in easier way


TYPES OF SEARCH ENGINE


Yahoo.com

-Common search engine

Google Scholar

-Common search engine

Mamma.com

-Metasearch engine

Ericdigest.org

-Common search engine


PURPOSE


Yahoo.com

-Varieties of purposes such as to get entertainment and to read news

Google.com

-Focusing more to academic purpose

Mamma.com

-General purpose

Ericdigest.org

-Focusing more to academic purpose


AMOUNT OF INFORMATION

(Example I want to search about “foreign language”)


Yahoo.com

-Search Result=152,000,000 for foreign language in 0.21 seconds

Google Scholar

-Search Language=738,000 in 0.07 seconds

Mamma.com

-Search result=67

Ericdigest.org

- Search result=192 in 0.09 seconds
MY FEEDBACK

From my experience before and after do this task, there is lots of new info that I have gathered. Firstly, before I do this task I always think that Yahoo.com is the best search engine. It is because of factor my account email is Yahoo, so that I can simply search the information that I wanted since I already viewing the page. In addition, at the yahoo.com page has different features such as news and entertainment. Thus, I can simply know the latest news and read it at that time. Then, I know about google.com and always use it because google has special features which is I can select information from Malaysia if I want to. So, it can narrow my scope only in Malaysia.

Then, after some research to do this task, now I know that there are alternative search engines that I can use to search information. For example I can use Google Scholar for better and more information. On the other hand, if I want to find article on education, I will use Ericdigest.org because the search engine is purposely to broad educational community. There are lots of article in there. Besides that, for mamma.com there is special features which are yellow pages and white pages. In my opinion, time by time with practising use these search engines, I will get used of using them.

In the end of the day, I think I am prefer to use yahoo.com because there are many features there and its easier for me to do many things in one time which are check my email and find information there.

0 comments: